HOW TO: CHOOSE THE RIGHT RUG
8 March, 2016
One of the most common questions clients ask me is ‘What size rug do I need?’. GREAT question guys! I know they say rules are meant to be broken, but when it comes to rug selection the rules are definitely meant to be followed. Follow my simple rug rules below and you’ll be well on your way to a beautiful room. Living Room
- The rug needs to be big enough for the front feet of your sofa and/or occasional chairs to sit on top of it.
- Your coffee table should sit on top of the rug
- For an extra luxe look, or for large spaces, choose an oversized rug where all your living room furniture sits on top.
- The rug anchors the room and helps to create the living zone – which is really important in open plan homes
- If in doubt, go bigger. Nothing looks worse that a large sofa paired with a too-small rug.
- Guess what? A rug under your dining table needs to be a lot bigger than the table itself.
- The general rule of thumb is that when your guests move in or out from the table, their chair should still be on the rug. This prevents the chair from catching on the edge of the rug and your guests from taking a tumble.
- Measure your table top and then add approximately 60-70cm (on each side!) to determine your perfect rug size.
- There are a few options when using rugs in the bedroom, but they all come down to one concept – they provide a ‘frame’ for your bed.
- Option #1 is to place a large rug fully under the bed. This will need to extend 70-90cm out from each side (except the bedhead end of course!)
- Option #2 is similar to the above rule but the rug can be moved down slightly towards the end of the bed – so it will end up a little smaller (and probably more affordable!)
- Option #3 involves experimenting with a short hall runner rug with one placed on each side of the side.
join our mailing list
Styling tips, tricks and news straight to your inbox.